- 1 cup margarine
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- ⅓ cup fresh orange juice
- ⅓ cup fresh orange peel (grated fine)
- 1 tsp soda
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 4-1/2 to 4-3/4 cups flour (sift after measuring)
- Mix margarine, sugar, eggs, orange juice, and orange peel.
- Mix soda with buttermilk.
- Sift together baking powder and flour.
- Add buttermilk and flour to margarine mixture.
- Drop by spoon on ungreased baking sheet - flatten slightly with damp fingers.
- Bake 9 minutes at 350°
- Remove from pan immediately, cool and frost with following: 1lb powdered sugar, 1 tbsp melted margarine, 1 heaping tsp fresh grated orange peel, and fresh orange juice to make it spreadable.
Note says: "Better flavor if baked and set over night."